Oral Cancer Screenings
Due to the increase of oral cancer, routine oral cancer screenings are important for every patient. At Broadway Dental Excellence, we’re committed to providing proactive screenings so that we can diagnose and treat this very serious condition as soon as possible. An early diagnosis and treatment will significantly increase a patient’s chances of making a full recovery.
ARE YOU AT RISK FOR ORAL CANCER?
The most common risk factors for oral cancer are tobacco use, frequent high quantity alcohol consumption, constant sunlight exposure, habitual cheek or lip biting, or poorly fitting dentures.
SIGNS OF ORAL CANCER
Your dentist could very well be your “first responder” in the fight against oral cancer. Statistics show in about ten percent of patients, dentists notice a problem area even before the patient notices. During a regular dental checkup, your dentist will examine your entire mouth. The most common signs of oral cancer can include:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, thickening, or rough spot
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
WAYS TO PREVENT ORAL CANCER
Aside from receiving an oral cancer screening during your checkup at our office, there are many things you can do to help prevent oral cancer. The best way to prevent oral cancer is to avoid all tobacco products and only drink alcohol in moderation. Also:
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always wear UV-A/B-blocking, sun-protective lotions on your skin, as well as your lips.
Remember to schedule regular checkups for everyone in your family. Two visits per year are recommended for general care. If, between visits, you notice any unusual changes in your mouth, call us immediately at Broadway Dental Excellence. Together, we can fight and win the battle against oral cancer.