Oral Cancer Screenings
Due to the increase of oral cancer, routine screenings are essential for every patient. At Broadway Dental, we’re committed to providing proactive screenings so we can diagnose and treat this severe condition as soon as possible. An early diagnosis and treatment will significantly increase a patient’s chances of full recovery.
ARE YOU AT RISK FOR ORAL CANCER?
The most common risk factors are:
- Tobacco use
- Frequent, high quantity of alcohol consumption
- Constant sunlight exposure
- Habitual cheek or lip biting
- Poorly fitting dentures
SIGNS OF ORAL CANCER
Your dentist could very well be your “first responder” in the fight against oral cancer. Statistics show for about 10% of patients, their dentists notice a problem area before they do. During a regular dental checkup, your dentist will examine your entire mouth.
The most common signs include:
- Red or white spots or sores in the oral cavity.
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal.
- A lump
- Thickening or rough spots.
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness in the mouth or on the lips.
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue.
Aside from receiving a screening during your checkup at our office, there are many things you can do to prevent oral cancer.
The best ways to prevent cancer are to:
- Avoid tobacco products.
- Only drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit exposure to the sun.
- Always wear UV-A/B-blocking, sun-protective lotion on your skin and lips.
Remember to schedule regular checkups for everyone in your family. Two visits per year are recommended for general care. If, between visits, you notice any unusual changes in your mouth, contact us immediately at Broadway Dental. Together, we can fight and win the battle against oral cancer.